Saturday, May 19, 2007

GI-NORMOUS WATER!

The flows in the Pueblo Whitewater Park have been "Hooooooge" of late.

A combination of warm weather and rainfall upstream has made for some major water days in the Pueblo Whitewater park. The flows have been growing since late Monday and early Wednesday. Monday's 850 cfs peaked at approximately 3,500 cfs! This some pretty amazing stuff to the park.

The features are transformed into waves and offer a very good opportunity for aerial maneuvers should a boater have the strength, skill and cahones to even get into the feature. There is little or no eddy service at this level, yet there is a great deal to chose from should you be able to climb aboard any of the 8 features.

I was at the park this morning prior to going to work. I photographed local paddler and fire fighter, Mike Hammond, as he paddled the park. I have to admit I would have like to been able to spend some time in the park as well, but I just didn't have the time. Mike attempted to paddle into several of the features with limited success.

Drop number three and drop number 6 offered the best chance to do some surfing. I have to tell you that if I had the skill to loop this would be the time to get in the water as the foam piles grew and the water in the drops got deeper and faster. Perfect conditions to loop. That is, if I knew how.

As of this post the flows are beginning to subside and the water has already dropped into 2,800 cfs range. I am sure that we will have surges like this again due to increased snowmelt and rains upstream. Keep your fingers crossed.

Now if we could just get the city to finish placing rocks and do some more grouting on the bank river right to help fight the erosion that occurs at this level.

No comments: